History

1950's

  • Soon after, a local Catholic priest contacted the Sisters of St. Joseph of Wichita Kansas and asked them to sponsor a hospital in Hayward, CA.

  • The history of St. Rose Hospital actually began nearly a decade before its official groundbreaking ceremonies; in 1953, several forward-thinking community members established a hospital building fund.

1960's

  • The hospital’s Skilled Nursing Facility opened in 1969, increasing the hospital’s capacity to 175 beds.

  • St. Rose Hospital opened on October 22, 1962 with capacity for 129 patient beds.

1970's

  • In 1977, the St. Rose Foundation was incorporated to accommodate gifts to the hospital and recruit community leaders for special projects

  • Health fairs were instituted and a St. Rose health clinic opened in Union City, CA.

  • The hospital made great strides in the 70’s, going "beyond our walls" to provide health care and illness prevention education.

1980's

  • A partnership with Providence/Summit Hospital was formed to provide home health services for the entire East Bay community.

  • To meet growing community needs, our hospital’s services were greatly expanded including the construction and opening of a new Emergency Room, Intensive Care Unit, a dedicated Family Birthing Center, and an Occupational Health Clinic.

1990's

  • The St. Joseph Pavilion, now the Sherman L. Balch Pavilion, was added in 1996 to expand community health education programs.

  • In 1996, St. Rose introduced an innovative project to the Hayward Unified School District: the Community Care-A-Van, which provided on-site healthcare services at Hayward schools.

  • Through a partnership with the Hayward Rotary, the Silva Pediatric Clinic was established in 1995 to provide care for children from low-income families. Children’s dental services were later added to the clinic.

  • Outpatient services were greatly expanded including opening a Women’s Imaging Center and promotion of regular mammograms for women.

  • St. Rose continued to adapt to the needs of its surrounding community.

2000's

  • St. Rose Hospital, with the support of its Board of Directors, becomes an independent community hospital.

  • St. Rose Hospital is designated as a "Cardiac Receiving Center" by Alameda County Emergency Medical Services.

  • The most recent investment in the community includes a new Cardiovascular Laboratory added in 2004. With the most advanced diagnostic technology in Northern California, we are performing Emergency Coronary Angioplasties and other life-saving procedures to treat victims of heart disease.

  • In 2001, one of the first Hospitalist programs in the Bay Area was established at St. Rose, ensuring quality physicians "around the clock" for all patients.

2010's & Beyond

  • St. Rose Hospital is dedicated to enhancing patient care and technology. Expanding our bed capacity with 30 private patient suites and the successful completion of the state­-mandated seism retrofit are just a couple of the many ways St. Rose Hospital strives to assure the highest standards of quality and safety.

  • Fremont Bank Foundation’s generous donations allowed St. Rose Hospital to implement an Infant Security System to provide the safest environment for our patients, the remodel of our Emergency Department, as well as construct a brand new state-of-the-art Pharmacy, equipped with a 797 compliant IV Admixture suite.

  • Amidst the many improvements of the past and present, St. Rose Hospital looks forward to future advancements to further enhance and redefine the way we provide care.